Thursday, August 28, 2008

My life as a milk machine!

He's such a cozy baby to snuggle with!
One of my favorite positions that he sleeps in after nursing!
I was trying to get Cruz to look at me, but daddy was much more interesting to look at instead!
2am and wide awake!
Today Cruz is 6 days old! I already can't imagine that I've lived my life so long without him. He is an amazing little boy. We're still figuring each other out, but I think we're starting to get the hang of it. He really only cries when he's hungry, so that's always an easy fix. He settles down quite easily even if he is a little fussy. He's great at nursing and latching, which makes my job a lot easier!
Our night times have had some ups and downs. The 2 previous nights were tough. The one night he had hunger that couldn't be stopped. He had pretty much nursed continuously from 4pm-2am and was still hungry. He'd take an hour break at the most. By 2am I gave up and Rick made some formula for him and let me sleep for a few hours. That was such a huge relief. But, I also had huge guilt of giving him formula.
Now what I'm trying to do for night is mix some formula with some pumped milk for him at night or going out in the day. Last night it really did the trick nicely. He slept for a few 3-4 hour intervals and didn't get upset when it was eating time. I still had to nurse too, but it was nice to have a little break. Until I woke up and realized how full and sore they can get! So, basically formula we're only using with break milk (half and half) if we are out somewhere or for at night and I can't pump enough myself. I have a bit less guilt for that.
The home nurse was here a few days ago and was very pleased with how Cruz is doing. When he left the hospital he had dropped to 8lbs 1oz, and as of 2 days ago he was up to 8lbs 5oz!
My mom took 2 days off to let me and Rick have some time together and will be back on Friday and Saturday while Rick goes back to work. Mom has been great at helping me out and making meals. She even rearranged and cleaned all my cupboards for me! I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm by myself in the day...! I'm going to try not to think about that right now. I know I can do it, it's just been great having the extra help -- especially while I'm healing.

2 comments:

Carlean said...

Pictures are priceless. I'm glad he's a good baby - it makes it easier for you and Rick.

I love the snugglng pictures, he looks content and happy.

Aunt CArlean

Andrea said...

I love the facial expressions...and the wrinkley newness of babies! =) Don't feel guilty about supplementing with formula, Ruth---that's the last thing you need is a guilt trip amidst all of your sleep-deprivation! =) Just do what you need to do to survive and Cruz will be just fine! You're doing awesome!