Friday, August 20, 2010

2 Years Ago Today...

On this day 2 years ago I woke up feeling like maybe my water had broken a little bit, but figured I would know if there was anything going on.
I got up, had a shower, then had my little morning siesta as per usual. My plan was to nap, get ready, then drink that chocolate castor oil milkshake. The plan changed ever so slightly when I woke up from my nap, walked to the bathroom and had my water break for real. What timing! I was in no pain, but realized that I must have had a few contractions the night before. Rick was still in bed at this time, so I got him up. He asked me if he had time to shower and since I was in no pain, I said "sure!". As he showered as I did my hair, make up and packed my bags. It took me longer to get ready than him. He still makes fun of me for getting ready to go to the hospital.
At around noon we got to the ER, checked myself in and got wheeled up to the room to get all checked out. One thing I'll never forget was waiting in that room with all of the monitors strapped on to my belly and feeling no pain whatsoever. By this point the doctors had confirmed that indeed my water had broken, but even though I wasn't in any pain or in active labor that they would keep me there for 24 hours before inducing me to see if I would go in to labor myself. As I'm laying there, in no pain, excited and nervous about what's going to happen next, I can hear the lady in the curtain next to mine just moaning and in agony. I could hear the doctors telling her she had to go home since her contractions were still too far apart to do anything yet. I just remember thinking how bad I felt for her. I was in no pain and they were keeping me there and she was in LOTS of pain and she had to go home to endure it then come back. But, I was still happy that I got to stay all the same. I was so excited to have this baby!
After the observation room, I got sent to another room on another floor for the night. Since I wasn't having many contractions, Rick and I hung out in the common room and watched the Olympics. We chatted with a few of the other husbands around there that were waiting on their wives. We took advantage of the free juice and milk and just hung out. We bought cross word puzzles to entertain ourselves as well. My parents arrived for a bit of moral support, but since nothing was happening, they left. Rick stayed as long as he could, but had no where to sleep that night so he went home. That night I had to share a room with another girl. She was quite young, 20 weeks pregnant with twins and her water had broken too. She was extremely quiet the whole night, but I was up and out of bed all night long to the bathroom. I felt kinda bad for being so noisy, but what could I do? I did word searches until the wee hours of the morning, writing down what times I was having contractions and writing down "Cruz Issac Vandenheuvel" over and over...

No comments: