The last few days I've really been learning to put all of my patience into practice. I wouldn't say that Cruz has been terrible lately, but he's certainly trying to learn his boundaries with me.
For instance there was yesterday. He was trying to go upstairs. He made it to the landing when I caught him. I told him to get downstairs and he just stood there and gave me a blank stare. This is what he does when he doesn't want to listen. I told him over and over again to get downstairs. Then he got all cute and made me crack and smile for a bit. Then I decided that I was the parent and if I say not to do something, then I shouldn't have to tell him over and over again. So, I picked him up and took him downstairs. He cried and screamed. I sat him down on the floor as I always do when he's being naughty. He got back up and went upstairs again. This time I only told him once to get downstairs and when he didn't I picked him up and sat him down, kicking and screaming on the floor again. He went upstairs one more time, but came down on his own. I have to say I was fairly proud of myself for not yelling though. I did find myself saying "Cruz Isaac Vandenheuvel get down these stairs right this instant" though. Kinda funny!
My struggle today was at the mall. We had time to kill so I decided that we would just enjoy our time. We played with the puppies at Petland then ate some lunch. After lunch we went to the rides in the mall. He LOVED this car thing that had a steering wheel and a screen to watch. I didn't put money in, but he sat there and played for a long time anyways. It was pretty cute watching him play. After about 20 minutes of standing there watching him, I realized he wasn't even playing anymore. He was just sitting there and watching people. I decided it was time to go home and he wanted NOTHING to do with it. He kicked and screamed as I took him out of there and put his winter coat back on. Yep, I was THAT parent with THAT child today. I didn't back down to his screaming or give in or bribe him with any thing. I was proud of myself for that... I feel like I kept both of our dignities in tact by the time we left the mall, but it was still exhausting to deal with his temper tantrum. Especially in public. I suppose every child needs to learn their parents boundaries sometime. My goal is to be as consitent as possible. This parenting thing isn't so easy somedays!
On a side note, I fell in love with a cocker spaniel puppy at Petland. She had such long, beautiful eye lashes and gave me this face that said "I love you already"... Cruz cried on the outside when we had to walk away from the puppies. I cried on the inside. Then I had to remind myself that I'm a cat person, not a dog person. Also even if I wanted to bring home another pet, I couldn't. We're only allowed 2 pets and I already have 2 cats.. anyone want some cats? :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment