Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cruz's 18 month updates...

It's official. My baby is a year and a half old! Maybe he's not a baby anymore? That's debatable. If I were going to put him in daycare, 18 months would be the age where toddler rates apply. So, I suppose by those standards he's no longer a baby. I still think he's a baby. Rick and I refer to him as "baby" all the time. We say things like "where's baby?"... or if we're somewhat frustrated or just being goofy, we refer to him as "this" or "that" or "thing". Example, "Because of this thing, I no longer fit my old clothes anymore."
As far as updates go, I think Cruz is starting his terrible 2's early. The last 2 weeks have been some challenging times. He is always cranky, crying, thr
owing tantrums... I'm sure there's a reason to it, like teething. There are just no new teeth to show for it yet. I'm told the "I" teeth are the hard ones to grow in. I'm going to say that's what's happening, but I can't really be sure.
My patience is running so thin with this thing of mine. Really thin. Like ready to run away from him. It's a really good thing he's cute.
I'm trying to gain perspective about what's going on. This is just a moment in time. This will pass. I'm going to look back and laugh about this and wish he was this little again. Yep. I'm going to keep on telling myself that.
Okay, so my complaining aside... he really is a sweet kid. He loves kisses and hugs. He loves to draw whenever he has the opportunity. He loves to watch Sesame Street, especially when Elmo's world comes on. He loves music. He'll dance to anything, my own singing and songs included! In fact, he encourages it. He'll give me his microphone to sing songs into and gets upset if I stop. There's no accounting for taste...
He is somewhat getting better with talking, although he's still not really talking yet. He says "this", "mom", "dad", "hat", "ya" and there are more words in there... we just haven't figured out what they are yet! Without using words, he has great com
munication. We can pretty much always figure out what he's trying to say, which is maybe why he doesn't feel the need to say the words. We do try to make him say what he wants, but it just doesn't really work that way for him. We encourage him to talk. He babbles a lot and tells stories a lot. He gets really animated with what he's saying too. He's getting close to saying more actual words. I'm not going to worry yet, but it sort of does worry me. Every child works at their own pace, and that's what I keep on trying to remind myself. I can't compare him to anyone but himself.
What I can say about being Cruzy's mom is... life isn't boring.


This right here is why I don't take monthly photos. When I get around to doing it, he's not in the mood. This is literally the best I could get for his 18 month photo. Ridiculous.

This is Cruz at 12 months old. Slightly more willing to cooperate with a smile, but at this point he was just happy to be really learning how to walk.

These next photos are just to show you what I've been dealing with lately. His cry face. Lots and lots of it. Over nothing. Ugh.


1 comment:

Kimi said...

Ruth, I totally hear you!! Some days are definitely better than others...just know you aren't alone! I try and remind myself...he/she is only 1 or 2 or whatever age! But there are many moments/days I want to run away, too!! With Eli, 1-2 seemed much harder for us than 2-3, which is different than many others claim! I say that to offer hope...maybe it'll be the terrific 2's ahead instead of the terrible 2's!