I`ve read a few books lately that I found to be quite interesting.
The first book that I read was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It`s a very interesting look at what life was like before all of the war in Afghanistan in the eyes of a 9 year old boy. More importantly it`s a story about friendship, love, family, lies and how you can never really go back, but you do have second chances. When I read the book I wasn`t aware that there was a movie made already, but I don`t recommend the movie. It`s very boring, the only reason I was able to watch it the whole way through was because I already knew what was happening from the book. It does however stay really close to the story line, but the book is far more interesting.
The other book that I just finished reading today is Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill. I didn`t know anything about the book before reading it, and it shocked me! I really don`t know if I really enjoyed it so much as found it interesting. I found I had to finish reading it, even though there were many parts that made me uncomfortable. It`s about a 12 year old girl. Her parents were only 15 when they had her and her mother died a year after. Her father was a major drug addict and they basically lived life from hotel to hotel in the worst areas of Montreal. She was fully aware when her father was high and knew when he was out scoring more drugs. Despite the rough life that she led, she really doesn`t complain about it. Her attitude is that she wasn`t meant to live a happy-go-lucky life. She wasn`t meant to see the pretty things, she was meant to sit in the rain and try to find something good instead. That was life, that was what she accepted. I`m not sure if I recommend it or not though...
I was at the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra tonight with my cousin Tracey. The show was mostly good. It really made me want to play piano. I wanted to enjoy the string quartet... but it was really odd watching them yelling and grunting while playing. They were yelling something like `sheep bah`. It was very distracting. I have never seen anything quite like it. Call me old fashioned, but it doesn`t seem to me that violinists should be shouting random words while playing.
No comments:
Post a Comment