Saturday, October 11, 2008

5am blues

It's currently 5:15am as I type, but it was 4:30am that I got up with him. It was 1am before that. I've been trying to help him sleep at night and encourage him to fall asleep on his own. Every night we lay him down when he starts getting tired. It usually takes a few tries for him to fall asleep, but he eventually will. After that, I keep the lights off or low, with little to no noise. When he does wake up, I try to not talk to him so he knows that it's not time for that. I've been doing this since I brought him home from the hospital. So what happens? 4:30am strikes and he looks at me and smiles with his eyes WIDE open! I put him in bed between me and Rick, turned out the lights and hoped he could lull himself back to sleep, feeling safe between his mommy and daddy... no dice. I got up, changed his diaper, put on his lullaby's CD and tried walking the floors with him. No dice. So, now he's in his play pen watching his Ocean Wonders thing coming pretty close to crying now. It plays nice relaxing music too. It's playing Canon in D right now. What's funny is what usually puts him to sleep is Rick's heavy metal. I'm not playing that right now. I need sleep too...
How can I make this baby sleep through a night? Or at least wake up less?
Okay, he's crying now.
Advice??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He will sleep thru the night when he is ready too. Just be patience right now. I know its no fun getting up every couple of hours.


Aunt Betty

Andrea said...

Oh Ruth, I remember those nights all too well. I think your Aunt is right, and here are my two cents:

First, remember that you're one of MANY other mommies up in the middle of the night. You're not alone. (I always felt like I was the ONLY one up with a crying baby, and "why is everyone else getting sleep right now except ME!?"...not true)

Second, I am one of the mommies on most nights lately. Except it's my 2-year-old who is waking up, not my baby. Go figure. =) Seriously, time will pass, and he'll sleep longer and longer stretches. Just remember that the sun WILL come up and you WILL survive another day. I didn't read this until today, so I hope the past 4 days have been better for you...Praying for you, girl.

~Andrea