Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Bit of History About Rick and I

I started working at The Brick 3 years ago in August, which is where I met Rick. There were a lot of people to meet so very few people really made a "first impression" on me. Looking back, Rick was one of them. It was my first day and I was sitting in the office filling in the mandatory new person paper work and I remember hearing Rick talk non stop about his new car. He was so proud of this new car. After work when I was going out to my car, I looked to find this car of his and thought it looked like such a beater. I was wondering how he could be so proud of that car. I'm told now that he had big plans of fixing it up and making it his dream car. That is, until a semi ran him off the road and he crashed it.
I was still married when I started working there, so nothing happened between us. There was always the bit of flirting. He'd always say to me "how is it that the nerds always get the best looking women?". I wasn't sure if he was talking about me and my husband or not... but assumed he was.
After a few months of being officially on my own he started trying to get me to go out with him. Me and him have different version of this story, but he says I turned him down flat repeatedly. I say I thought he was joking around most of the time and didn't think he seriously meant what he was saying. There was only one time I turned him down, but there was a reason for it. We were at work and sitting down with another co worker. Rick had casually said that we should catch a movie together some time and I said "no". Then our co worker started laughing about how Rick got turned down cold. I didn't think he was really asking me out on a date and I felt awkward saying "sure" around our co worker. I don't know why I felt awkward, but I did. So I said "no." Rick looked rejected and went home early.
It took a work party in June to finally get us together. Now the rest is history and we've been together every day since June 24th.
Rick actually already has 2 boys. The oldest is Ace (yes, that's his actual name!) he's 10 and the youngest is 5 and his name is Sebastian. Ace is a really sweet kid. He's with us as much as possible. I'm in the process of making the extra bedroom a room for him. Sebastian is a very gifted child when it comes to art and spelling. He has autism. He's mostly non verbal, but communicates mostly through his drawings and some sign. He's a hard kid to get to sit still! He's beautiful and the last time I saw him he was spelling "presentation" on a piece of paper. He was just in a music class and learned 7 songs on the keyboard. I haven't had a chance to hear any of them, but I'm told he was quite good!
After seeing Rick with his boys, I have no doubts about having his baby. His children come first and he's always made that perfectly clear to me. He's a great dad, and a great partner for me! He puts up with my crazy mood swings and doesn't complain (too much!).
Hockey is Rick's life. He plays year round on a rec team. It's nothing professional, but his team just won their whole tournament last night! They have a few more games and the winner of that one goes to San Jose! And just when one team is winding down, Rick has put together a work hockey team for the summer. I'm pretty excited about watching those games.

No comments: