Friday, June 18, 2010

Cruz's language



One thing that seems to be a constant stress to me is the fact that Cruz doesn't always use words to communicate. All the same he's an excellent communicator! He can always let me know exactly what he wants by his owns signs that he's made up or by pointing and showing me exactly what he wants. I've paid very close attention and he definitely can hear. He can follow instructions very well and listens to what we say. There are, of course, the times of selective hearing that we all have though! From what I've been able to look up it seems that he's delayed in his speech but doesn't show any signs of any other developmental issues.
All of this being said, I've been realizing more and more that Cruz says more than I think he does. His vocabulary seems to be growing more and more every day. Here is a list of some of the words he says:
Dog
Kitty..."kee" or "keet"
Bird... "bud" or "beed"
Peek... "pee"
Eyes

Cheek... "chi"
Shoes... "shus"
Socks... "soss"
Outside..."ow see"
Chocolate sauce..."chock soss"
Bubbles... "buh boos"
Duck
Ace (his oldest brother)
Ash (his cousin who is around a lot)

Crash... "cash"
Baby... "bee bee"
Upstairs... "ups"
Keys... "kees"

There are more words that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm starting to not get so discouraged. Especially when I hear a child his age speaking clearly. I'm so proud of my Cruzy for everything that he's accomplished so far though.
Some of the things that Cruzy loves to do on a daily basis is color. Give him a piece of paper and something to color with and he's good to go! He also loves to push his cars around the floor going "bee bee". I think he's saying "beep beep", but I didn't teach him that so I'm not entirely sure. I taught him "crash" though!
We are setting records for the wettest spring on record here. We've gone maybe 2 days in a row of sunshine then it's right back to rain, rain, rain. We've been trying to take advantage of whatever sunshine we have had. Cruz LOVES it outside. He can spent almost an hour in the swings. Another thing he has discovered is hoses. He's super helpful at helping water the flowers and grass. At least, he thinks he is!

2 comments:

Kimi said...

i think you are so smart to make a list of the words he is saying...it really helps you see what all he is doing! if it helps, when eli was 2, he could say less than 5 words and refused to imitate any sounds...thus he ended up in speech therapy for about a year. now he won't stop talking :)

Andrea said...

Once again, ditto what Kimi said.

It's hard to take all the "helpful information" on the internet with a grain of salt, but that's what you have to do...I think Cruz's pediatrician will let you know when you need to be concerned, so don't stress yourself with comparing him to other kids his age. He might just up and speak in complete sentences one day and shock you! You're a great & conscientious mom---he has nothing to worry about!