Sunday, May 15, 2011

Labour and Delivery!

I realize I haven't updated this blog in what feels like ages. Fact of the matter is, I have most of my life on facebook that I forget to do anything with this. However, I do like to try to keep this up so I can remember certain stories that might get forgotten along the way. That being said, I'll share my delivery story of Solan Ronald Vandenheuvel. And before I begin, I'll answer the question that everyone asks me about where the name Solan came from. One evening when I was going through baby names online, Rick walked into the room and I was running a bunch of names past him. We have a hard time agreeing on anything. Rick asked me what I thought of the name Solan. I thought about it, and liked it. I was more surprised that he suggested a name! But, I really liked the way the name sounded. He left the room and I continued my search for names. Rick walked back into the room a little while later and asked me if I actually liked that name. I told him I really did and then he says to me "good, you can't take it back now". I asked him why and he told me the name came from his favorite tv series Xena: Warrior Princess. It was Xena's sons name in the show. So, that's where the name comes from. But I just tell everyone its like the name "Nolan" but with an "S". :-)
So, on April 23rd Rick and I were laying on the sofa watching the hockey game. Cruz was napping on the love seat and it was just making out to be a do nothing kind of evening. Rick had been scheduled to work til 7 at work but came home in the afternoon because he really wasn't feeling well. Around 6:30, and in the second period of the Habs vs Bruins game, our door bell rings. Rick gets up to answer it and its our neighbor letting us know that our dog got out of the yard and is running around the play ground. So, Rick walks to the back door and I walked behind him to see what was going on. As Rick was walking out the back door, my water broke. I didn't know if he had heard me say my water had broken as he was running to get the dog back in the yard and make sure he couldn't escape again. I went to the bathroom to try to clean up before going to the hospital, but my water just kept on going! So when Rick got back in the house he came upstairs to check on me and called his brother to get over here to watch Cruz and his nephew to drive us to the hospital (we didn't want to pay for parking -- it's expensive!). Rick and I got our stuff together, chatted a bit with his brother, tried to wake up Cruz and get him to stop crying that we were leaving without him (he's very emotional when he's first waken up) and walked out to the car. On our way to the car Rick stopped to talk to our neighbor about a sale coming up at work as I was standing there trying not to make a mess with my water! haha! I wasn't in pain so I was figuring it would be a birth like the first time. My water had broken and then they had to induce me a day and a half later. We got to the hospital, I was put in the assessment room. I wasn't having any contractions so they told me they would induce me in the morning, which was fine by me. They put me in my overnight room and the contractions started right aways. They gave me morphine, but the contractions were so strong that it didn't help. They checked me and I was still only 2cm dilated, so they suggested I go in the jacuzzi tub to relax. I spent about half an hour in there or so until I couldn't take the pain anymore. When I got out I was 7cm dilated and BEGGING and PLEADING for an epidural! I walked 3 doors down to the delivery room, the guy was standing right beside me to give me the epidural and then I needed to push. The doctor told him to leave. I was devastated! Well, I was screaming anyways! In about 10 minutes I had gone from 7cm to 10cm and was ready to have the baby. I pushed for the most painful 10 minutes of my life when Solan made his way out! The nurses said I did good, but I was apologizing for screaming the whole time. What my dream was for this delivery was to be able to hold the baby immediately, and I got to this time! (Cruz was taken to the NICU with breathing problems before I even got to see him). It was pretty incredible to hold Solan and know that he was okay right aways.
My recovery was so much faster and easier this time. I've been feeling great and Solan has been such an incredible addition to the family. Cruz loves his brother and has been so helpful and gentle with him. So far no jealousy, but Solan can't take Cruz's toys yet! Solan sleeps very well and only cries when he's hungry.
I'm a very happy mommy!

No comments: