Sunday, January 16, 2011

Just updates

The pregnancy:

I have to say that I really can't complain about my pregnancy at all. I'd be a fool to! I know there are women that deal with far more sickness and complications than I do. If the worst I have to deal with is the occasional heartburn at this point, than I'd say I'm doing just fine. The baby has even been taking it fairly easy (knock on wood) on my bladder so far. I don't often have to do the annoying pee break in the middle of my sleep which is great. I know those days are coming to an end, but I'll enjoy it for now.
I'm 25 weeks along as of today. 2 more weeks til I officially start my third trimester. Baby is growing great, has a strong heart beat and definitely stays active in my belly.
I think Rick and I have narrowed down names for this little guy, but I don't plan on announcing such things until the arrival of baby!
I feel far more empowered this pregnancy than last time. I'm getting cared for by an obgyn as opposed to my family doctor that I hate. I know what to expect a little bit better. I also feel more confident that I'll be able to call the shots a little bit better than last time as well. We'll see if things go a bit more smoothly this time around.

Cruzy:


Cruz is great. He is constantly picking up new words to add to his vocabulary. His newest and most exciting words are "amazing" pronounced "mmazing!" (and yes, I added that exclamation point on purpose) and also "delicious" pronounced "lish0us". He doesn't always use the words in their correct format, but it sure is fun to watch him figure it out! He's also constantly trying to count but his numbers are all out of whack. He goes "7, 11, 13, 8, 3..." He can count "1,2,3" but needs help after that. He also calls anything written down "numbers", even if it is a letter or a symbol. Some days he's open to learning what things are, other days he's right about everything he thinks. He'll get it eventually!

Cruz's big interest these days are trains. Especially Thomas Train. Even if it's not Thomas, it's still Thomas Train to him. He loves to show you his trains, drive his trains and talk about his trains. Some days it gets to be a bit much, but at least he has something he enjoys.

Another funny quirck we've noticed with Cruz is how he says 2 word sentances or 2 syllable words. For example if he says "stop light", he'll pause between words and say the last word with a completely different inflection. So it comes out as "stop (in a hight voice) ... light (in a low voice)." Same with saying things like "vitamin"... it comes out "vit. man." Or snow man or alligator or anything like that. Even if it has more than 2 syllables, he'll make it be 2 syllables with a pause between them and different inflection for each word.

Cruz has, with no resistance at bedtime, addapted life to sleeping in a big boy bed. The only issue we had at first was him falling out of bed. A bedrail solved that issue fast! Since then he's been just fine at bedtime. The issues we have is naptime! Knowing it's daylight out and he can get out of bed don't go well together. He just won't nap anymore as much as he needs it. Now the second we get in the car he's out like a light bulb. It's frustrating, but we'll get through it. I wish I could say there were no tired tantrums, but there definitely are. The last few days he has been happily playing in his room when he's supposed to be napping. As long as he's quiet and I get some time to myself, I'm okay with that.

People often ask me if Cruz is excited for the baby. Honestly, I don't know. I think he is. But, I don't think he really grasps the concept of the baby going from being in my tummy to living in our house. He's very interested in babies. He loves to kiss my tummy and say "baby". He knows that when I show him an ultrasound picture that it's a baby. When a friend came over with her baby he didn't know what to do with him though. Cruz tried showing her baby his kitten and tried getting him to play hockey with him. He didn't quite understand that the baby was too little to do these things. He just looked at the baby so puzzled. Knowing Cruz's personality though, I know he'll be helpful with fetching diapers and throwing them away and things like that. He loves to help us in our day to day lives as much as possible, so the baby won't change that part of who he is. I don't think any of this change will go without some behavioral issues or jealousy, but I'll just have to make room on my lap for both of them. Overall though, I think Cruz will be a very loving big brother. Just like he's loving to all the animals of our house. Cruz's love can be a little (or a lot) rough at times, but it's still love that comes from a very pure place.


Me:

I'm ready to be done work and start my maternity leave. There have been too many changes that get me too worked up and frustrated with work. I am very grateful for my job and the management for being so great and understanding to me. I am also very grateful for some of the close friendships I have made because of my job. There, I've spoken about the things I'm grateful for and won't go into the things I'm not grateful for. I'm trying to be more positive.

I've been on holidays for the last week. Rick took Cruz and I to Edmonton for the night. Cruz handled the trip very well. It's about a 6 hour drive with stops. It could be less, but we did the best we could to push on with a Cruzy in the back seat. Cruz is a great traveller, but he needs his breaks. On this trip was the very first time Cruz has slept in a hotel room. I can not even begin to tell you what a horrible experience that was. He was so excited about the room and the beds and the new surroundings that he completely forgot about sleep. It was literally 5am before he passed out. He woke himself up at 8:30am. Rick dealt with Cruz for the brunt of the night and tried to let me sleep. Of course I couldn't because Cruz kept on running around the room from bed to bed and jumping on me. I was ready to throw him in a snow bank. That being said, he was pretty good the next day. He was tired, but functional. We went to West Ed mall and lasted there for about 6 hours. There are things we would have liked to have done, but Cruz was too tired. The highlight for Cruz and myself as well, was going to the sealion show. We got our picture taken with the sealion with my head being kissed by the sealion. It was pretty neat for sure.

I am trying my best to deal with life. I am so grateful for Rick in my life to help settle me and help ground me. We have different perspectives on things which is great. He's a great man and I'm so lucky to have him. And when I tell him that he just says "I know"... he's modest too. :-)

No comments: