Monday, December 27, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Okay, so after getting everything all written up I realized I was too lazy to put the photos in the appropriate places of this post. Please excuse the completely random order of pictures. Being on my laptop without a proper mouse really makes things difficult. My kitten took the mouse thing a little too seriously and chewed right through the cord, so I've been without ever since.




My mom taking pictures

Mark and Rick both got the same tool kit from my parents which took a fair bit of figuring out how to open up. Notice Cruz's expression here, he was saying "oooh!" and "neat!" and "wow"!

Cruzy did the flanograph of the Christmas story while my dad narrated it.

The train set we got for Cruz. He loves it!

Opening up the train set

Cruz's Christmas outfit at Rick's parents place

I really hate my expression in this, but this was basically what the night was for me and Rick. Holding Cruzy. By the way... what's with my gimpy hand while I'm holding Cruz? I've seen myself do that in other pictures and I realize how awkward it looks...

Rick's brother, Steve, reading to Cruz and his cousin Christoph

A small portion of many people there. Notice Cruz on Rick's lap this time


What I discovered this year, more so than the last 2 years, is that it's very tiring being Santa! I really do enjoy the holidays and I want so much to pass on traditions that will stick with Cruz for the rest of his life, but it's a lot of work. Or perhaps it just seems like a lot more work when I'm working full time and then all my evenings off and days off were spent baking, shopping, decorating, buying presents, wrapping presents, hiding presents and re-hiding presents and trying to think of clever, thoughtful presents. Christmas really did come fast this year. I had almost forgotten to take Cruz to go see Santa! I realized that the 23rd was the last day Santa was at the malls so with extreme dread, I took Cruz by myself to see Santa. I really expected the worst when it came to being at the mall on the 23rd, especially since I figured I wasn't the only mom to forget to take their child to see Santa sooner. With so much relief, the mall wasn't ridiculous. Parking wasn't ridiculous. I almost got hit by a car, but I won't focus on that part of it! Cruz was so well behaved which made everything SO much easier. He held my hand and walked through the mall. He didn't even freak out when I didn't let him go on the escalator. However, he did freak out when it came to sitting with Santa. Just like last year. I was incredibly grateful to the team at Midtown Plaza for being so patient with Cruz (unlike last year at a different mall...) They didn't rush us. They tried to make sure they got a picture with Cruz not crying. That took me sitting with him in Santa's chair, but hey, he wasn't crying. He was pouting, but not crying. What surprised me was later on in the day how Cruz was so excited about his photo with Santa. He wanted to show everyone and kept on saying "Santa". Guess that was one of those things that momma knew best?
Christmas eve we spent with Rick's family at his mom's house. It's always a good time. Cruz wasn't in the best mood though. As much as he loves his family, he gets really shy in a crowd. One on one he's fine with people. When there are people in our home he's fine, but when he's somewhere else he's not so okay. He spent the evening going from Rick's lap to my lap. If there was a road block in the way he had a melt down. Poor Cruzy.
Christmas day we went to my parents place and spent the day with them and Mark. That was quite nice as well. My mom made a delicious turkey dinner which we all enjoyed. We spent the rest of the day sitting around, opening presents and enjoying each other's company. At least I was enjoying everyone's company anyways! Cruzy stayed the night and Rick and I had to leave by 6pm because...
Boxing day. I hate boxing day. We had to be at work by 5am. The store opened at 6am. We were open til 8pm and the entire staff is expected to work all day. All 15 hours. I guess it worked in my favor being pregnant and not being expected to work the full day. Instead I worked 12 hours. They were great about me taking breaks and resting when I needed to. For that I can't complain. But what I can complain about were my swollen, tired feet when I got home. Thankfully next year I'll be on maternity leave for boxing day. Yay!
We have no plans for new years. Perhaps we'll do the gingerbread house with Cruz that we completely forgot about? Ooops.

No comments: